Understanding the 2021 Awards
THE PROCESS and CHANGES
- Nominations open for submission – Wednesday 19 May
- Nominations close - Friday 4 June
- Nominations split into disciplines and assessed by each respective committee. Each committee member votes to obtain a top 2 for the discipline.
- Finalists announced for each category (2 from each discipline)
- Voting opens for financial members to decide the winner and runners up – one member vote per category – Friday 2 July
- Winner and 2 runners up announced and awarded at the Gala Presentation
- Dinner - Saturday 31 July
The following Award categories are judged on a performance points system where points are allocated to placings at designated qualifying events decided upon by each discipline committee. Winners and runners up of Performance categories will also be announced and awarded at the Gala Presentation Dinner.
- Horse of the Year – Dressage, Eventing, Jumping, Show Horse
- OTT Horse of the Year - Dressage, Eventing, Jumping, Show Horse
- Rider of the Year - Dressage, Eventing, Jumping, Show Horse
- Young Rider of the Year - Dressage, Eventing, Jumping, Show Horse
- Para Equestrian of the Year
- Carriage Driver of the Year
- Following your feedback, the results of the Show Horse categories will now be determined on a performance points basis.
- 2020 was the inaugural year for the Service to Equestrian Sport Award and so all finalists other than the winner will be automatically included for 2021. There is no need to nominate any of the following outstanding nominees:
- Alfred Parsons
- Angela Dobbin
- Cathering Shelley
- Des Russell
- Graeme Barker
- Jan Smith
- Jeremy Roberts
- Michelle Debenham
- Peter Gardner
- Peter Dunne & Glenn Fryer - 'Longvue'
- Wendy Abey
- Only information provided will be used to judge the nomination.
- Please take care when writing as this information will also be copied directly for use online in nominee profiles.
- Please provide enough information to allow the judging panel to assess the nominee accurately and to convey the nominee's achievements in the best possible way.
- Each question below is based on the selection criteria - answer the questions and provide examples to demonstrate your answer.
- You may use bullet points.
- You are able to save, revisit and modify your nomination up until the close date. The link can be found in your confirmation email. Note: If you choose to nominate anonymously you will not be able to utilise this feature.
- Submissions with contact details only or minimal information will be removed from consideration.
- We would appreciate you providing a photo of the nominee to be used for the presentation night and voting imagery.
- You are able to nominate yourself.
Administrator of the Year | Club of the Year | Coach of the Year | Event of the Year | Groom of the Year | Lifetime Service to Equestrian Sport | Official of the Year | Volunteer of the Year
Nominations for the above categories will open on July 2. Members will have 1 vote per category (members must have been a 2020/2021 financial member to vote). All nominations will be reviewed in consultation with the discipline committees to determine a list of finalists - 2 per discipline.
Note: the Coaching Committee will decide on the Coach of the Year top 8 finalists, with input from the Discipline Committees if required.
Horse of the Year - Dressage | Eventing | Jumping | Show Horse; Rider of the Year - Dressage | Eventing | Jumping | Show Horse; Young Rider of the Year | Dressage | Eventing | Jumping | Show Horse; Off The Track Horse of the Year - Dressage | Eventing | Jumping| Show Horse; Para Equestrian of the Year; Carriage Driver of the Year
No nominations are required. Total performance points accumulated over the period 1 June 2020 to 30 May 2021 as determined by each discipline. Equestrian Australia affiliated events only eligible for the points. Level of competition will be taken into account. See category detail for each discipline’s qualifying events.
Amateur Owner Dressage Rider of the Year
The Victorian AOR Rider of the Year is determined by the AOR Committee on a performance points basis.
Off The Track Retrainer of the Year
All nominations will be reviewed by Racing Victoria, utilising a judging panel assessment process. The top 5 finalist names will be released prior to the presentation dinner event and the winner and runners up will be announced and presented at the presentation evening.
Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame Inductee will be determined by consensus of the Discipline Committees.
The following are the General Rules for the 2021 Equestrian Victoria Awards. For category specific rules, please see the individual category pages.
- You are able to nominate yourself
- Nominees are eligible to win an award on multiple occasions, i.e. winning an award category previously does not preclude winning again. Hall of Fame and Service to Sport are the exceptions.
- All nominees must be Victorian based.
- Judging of all awards applies to the period 1 June 2020 to 31 May 2021 with the exception of Hall of Fame and Service to Sport awards.
- Refer to individual nomination form for category any specific rules and criteria.
- All performance category nominees must be financial members of Equestrian Victoria during the applicable judging period. Nomination category requirements vary – see specific category for details.
- All members voting on the finalists must have been financial during the 2020/21 financial year. Name and membership number information will be cross checked and verified against the database.
- Discipline committee members with conflict of interest are to be ineligible to vote on applicable nominations.
Equestrian Victoria staff and board members are ineligible for nomination.
- Nominations with contact details only, or minimal information, will be removed from consideration.
Nominations, judging, voting and announcement of winners will take place as per the timetable below:
- Nominations open | Wednesday 19 May 2021
- Nominations close | Friday 4 June 2021
- Nomination submissions sent to Discipline Committees | Friday 11 June 2021
- Discipline Committees to provide finalist selections | Monday 21 June 2021
- Announcement of finalists | Friday 2 July 2021
- Member voting opens | Friday 2 July 2021
- Member voting closes | Friday 16 July
Gala Presentation Dinner | Saturday 31 July 2021
“The more you celebrate in life, the more there is to celebrate”